By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 lbround steak
2 mediumonions, sliced
How to Make Smothered Steak
- Trim steak and cut into serving-size pieces.
- Pound with a meat mallet or the edge of a saucer to tenderize.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge each piece of meat in flour mixture.
- Use the mallet or plate edge to pound the flour mixture into the meat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Brown each piece of steak in the hot oil, setting aside when browned.
- Add more oil if necessary.
- When all meat has been browned, add sliced onions to the pan, separating as you add them.
- Cook only until soft and remove from skillet.
- Lower heat to medium and return meat pieces layered with onions to skillet.
- Add water and cover.
- Cook over medium heat until steak is tender and gravy has thickened, about 30-45 minutes.
- If necessary, remove lid for last 15 minutes to let gravy cook down.
- Can add flour (mixed with a bit of the gravy) to pan if necessary for thickening.