By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 2 lb
- round steak
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 c
- 2 medium
- onions, sliced
- 3 c
How to Make Smothered Steak
- 1Trim steak and cut into serving-size pieces.
- 2Pound with a meat mallet or the edge of a saucer to tenderize.
- 3Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- 4Dredge each piece of meat in flour mixture.
- 5Use the mallet or plate edge to pound the flour mixture into the meat.
- 6Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- 7Brown each piece of steak in the hot oil, setting aside when browned.
- 8Add more oil if necessary.
- 9When all meat has been browned, add sliced onions to the pan, separating as you add them.
- 10Cook only until soft and remove from skillet.
- 11Lower heat to medium and return meat pieces layered with onions to skillet.
- 12Add water and cover.
- 13Cook over medium heat until steak is tender and gravy has thickened, about 30-45 minutes.
- 14If necessary, remove lid for last 15 minutes to let gravy cook down.
- 15Can add flour (mixed with a bit of the gravy) to pan if necessary for thickening.