Smothered Cube Steak
- cube steaks
- black pepper
- cajun seasoning, to taste (i used almost 1 tablespoon total)
- 1/4 c
- flour (approximate)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 c
- sliced mushrooms (i used button mushromoms, but i think cremini would also be good)
- 1 medium
- onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 3 c
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp
- dried thyme leaves
How to Make Smothered Cube Steak
- 1Season both sides of cube steaks with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Rub a little flour into both sides of each cube steak.
- 2Heat vegetable oil in skillet over over medium heat. Add cube steaks and cook 5 minutes each side. Remove cooked steaks to a platter, and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 3Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to skillet with pan drippings, and cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms and onions are tender, stirring frequently to scrape up browned bits from the skillet. (I added a little Cajun seasoning too, but that wasn't in the original recipe.)
- 4Stir 2 tablespoons of flour into the gravy. Add the broth and thyme, and stir well. Cook over medium heat until gravy is thickened. Return cube steaks to skillet and heat several minutes in the gravy, turn and cook other side for several minutes or until heated through and cooked thoroughly.
Add a little more broth if the gravy thickens too quickly.