Slow Cooker Roast
This can also be roasted in the oven in a roaster pan. The construction is the same, but roast at 250F for 4hrs. Make sure you have the cover on it or the juice will evaporate!!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
4-6 lbshoulder or chuck roast
1 mediumonion, peeled, cut into eigths
2-3 stalk(s)celery, coarsely chopped
2-3 mediumcarrots, peeled, quartered
4-5 mediumpotatoes, peeled and quartered
12 ozbottle or can of beer
8 ozcan tomato juice
1 pkgdry onion soup mix
How to Make Slow Cooker Roast
- Preheat crock pot on high setting.
- Peel and cut the onion into eights and layer on the bottom of the crock pot. Chop the celery and layer on the onion. Place the frozen or thawed roast on top of the onions and celery. Surround the roast with the other vegetables.
- Pour the beer over all the contents of the crock pot. Drizzle the ketchup over the roast only. Drizzle the tomato juice over the roast and the vegetables. Sprinkle the soup mix evenly over everything.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on high for at least eight hours. Roast should be fall apart tender.
- Remove the roast and set aside. Then remove the carrots and potatoes. Reserve the au jus and add to a sauce pot to make gravy. With either a burr blender or a regular blender, puree the onions and celery. While the au jus is at a low boil, add a cornstarch slurry or a roux to thicken for pan gravy.