Slow Cooker "Inside Out" Stuffed Peppers
I hate all the tedium of making meat balls and then stuffing something... but I LOVE the flavor of the green peppers, beef and rice in that tomatoey sauce.
So why not just throw all the pertinent ingredients into a slow cooker and let it make itself? Ha!
I checked her book and there was this recipe for "Spanish Rice" with all the same ingredients! I added additional pepper for more pepper flavor!
- 1 1/2 c
- raw long grain rice (can use uncooked short grain, or whatever, but not instant rice)
- 1/2 c
- olive oil, or butter
- 1 can(s)
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 c
- water (for the rice)
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 3 or 4 large
- green bell peppers, cut in strips (for more green pepper flavor)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 2 lb
- hamburger, or sausage, fried and drained
- 1 pkg
- 2 lb frozen meat balls (plain or italian flavor)
TIME SAVING ALTERNATIVE:
How to Make Slow Cooker "Inside Out" Stuffed Peppers
- 1Saute the raw rice in the oil or butter until it is golden brown.
Note: do not omit this step... I was in a rush to get going and skipped this step and the rice never cooked properly. You don't have to use all the butter or oil, in fact, half that amount (1/4 c) works just as well, but DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- 2Place in slow cooker with all remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- 3Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours or on High for 2 to 3 hours.
- 4NOTE: I cut the green pepper in long strips so it would not get lost in the recipe -- I like the "green pepper" emphasis, but you can make it however you like. I also doubled the meat to make it more like stuffed green peppers and less like Spanish rice. I think you could use 3 or even 4 green peppers, too, if you really want the stuffed pepper taste.