SLOW COOKED POT ROAST (SALLYE)
Nothing fancy, but it surely is delicious and warming on a cool autumn evening. And your house will smell so good all day while it's cooking.
2 TO 3 lbsirloin round roast
1 Tbspground black pepper
1 tspcelery salt
1 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspap flour
12 ozbeef broth***
or12 oz water + 1 tbs beef bouillon
3/4 cmerlot wine (or your choice red)
1 pkgknorr's french onion soup mix
8 ozbaby carrots
1 largewhite onion
4 to 6 mediumyukon gold potatoes
2 Tbspcornstarch or flour
How to Make SLOW COOKED POT ROAST (SALLYE)
- Peel garlic cloves and cut into thin slices and set aside
Have slow cooker ready.
- Unroll roast if necessary and lay flat on a cutting board or clean surface.
Combine salt, pepper and celery salt and vigorously rub into roast.
- Sprinkle garlic slices on roast and roll up and tie with cooking twine.
Lightly dredge with flour.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet until shimmering, sear the roast on all sides.
Gently transfer the rolled roast to the crockpot.
- Gently stir the beef broth, wine, and Knorr's French onion soup mix until well blended.
Pour over roast.
- Cook roast on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- After 3 or 4 hours, peel and quarter potatoes.
Peel onion and cut into thin slices.
Transfer potatoes, onions and carrots to slow cooker with roast, layering them around the roast.
- Turn temperature to high and cook for approximately 1 hour until vegetables and roast are tender.
Place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl, add enough water or beef stock to make a thin paste. Stir this into the roast juices and cook until thickened.
- Place vegetables and roast back into crockpot and ladle gravy over them.
- Best served while still warm.