SICILIAN MEAT ROLL (BONNIE'S)
The photo is my own, adapted from a recipe by Betty Jones.
- pounds of very lean ground beef
- thin slices of boiled ham
- cup of italian bread crumbs
- eggs, beaten well
- cup tomato juice
- tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- teaspoon dried oregano
- teaspoon black pepper
- package onion soup mix
- teaspoons minced garlic
- cup fresh spinach, chopped fine
- 1 1/2
- cups grated swiss cheese
- slices swiss cheese
- cup red pepper, chopped fine
- optional: sliced mushrooms
How to Make SICILIAN MEAT ROLL (BONNIE'S)
- 1Saute the red pepper half done, add the spinach and stir for one minute and remove and set aside.
- 2In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, eggs, tomato juice, parsley, oregano, pepper, garlic and onion soup mix. Add the ground beef, mix well.
- 3Take a sheet of wax paper large enough to shape the meat into a 12 by 10 inch rectangle. (I measure it with a ruler)
- 4Add the slices of boiled ham on top of the meat, leaving a small gap around the edges for sealing.
- 5Add the swiss cheese, spinach and red pepper mixture to the ham. Spread it evenly.
- 6Using the wax paper, roll the meat from the narrow side, and seal the edges and the ends. Then place the roll SEAM SIDE DOWN in a greased 9x13 baking dish. It will just fit if you have measured it.
- 7Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour or until done. (The center of the roll will be pink due to the ham) Remove from oven, and cut the slices of swiss cheese at an angle, like my photo, and place them overlapping on top of the meat roll. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until melted.