1 lbbeef, ground
3 cpotatoes, mashed
1 pkgmixed vegetables, frozen
1 pkgonion soup mix, dried
1/2 cfresh onion, chopped
3 clovefresh garlic, minced
8 ozcheddar cheese, shredded
1 pkgranch dressing mix, dried
How to Make Shepherd's Pie
- In a hot skillet, brown the ground beef.
Add onions and minced garlic.
Cook over medium until beef is crumbled and onions are translucent clear.
- To ground beef mixture, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and onion soup mix. (A dried vegetable soup mix works, too!)
You want a slightly thickened sauce - not runny.
Empty mixture into oven baking dish.
Scatter frozen mixed vegetables on top.
- Drain water from cooked potatoes.
Return to low heat on stove.
Add 1/4 stick of butter and dried Ranch salad dressing mix.
Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
(If desired, add 1/4 cup of sour cream to potato mixture.)
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the frozen mixed vegetables.
Sprinkle top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Shake basil or parsley, salt & pepper on top.
- Cook cassarole until all ingredients are heated through and cheese is bubbly.
Remove cassarole from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes (juices will return to meat layer.)
Cut into squares and plate.
For faster prep, substitute home-made mashed potatoes with "Simply Frozen Garlic Mashed Potatoes."
- Serve with hot rolls or biscuts and a cold salad.