2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin or coconut oil
1large onion, diced
1 lbturkey or pork bacon, cut into 2-inch slices
2 ceach diced carrots and celery
1 lb(organic/grass-fed if possible) ground beef or lamb
1/2 tspsea salt
1 tspblack pepper
2 cbeef broth, divided
1/2 tspeach thyme and sage
1 cfrozen peas
5-6potatoes, cooked and whipped
How to Make Shepherd's Pie
- 1. Heat oil in a very large non-stick type frying pan. A cast-iron pan is best if available.
2. Saute onion for 15 minutes on medium heat, or until soft.
3. Add bacon pieces to pan and saute until cooked, about 10 minutes.
4. Add carrots and celery to pan and saute in bacon drippings for 10 minutes, til soft.
5. Add ground beef or lamb to pan and saute for a few minutes, just until brown.
6. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage.
7. Add 1 Cup of the beef broth and cook down until 60% evaporated. Add frozen peas and heat through.
8. Put beef mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
9. Top with whipped potatoes that have been whipped with 3 Tbsp butter and the rest of the beef broth. You can add less beef broth, depending on your preference of consistency of potatoes. Use a spatula to smooth the potato mixture over the beef mixture, and brush the top of the potato mixture with egg white to assist in browning top. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 10. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
- If you wish, you can make this dish in two steps; you can make the beef mixture the day before, and top with the potato mixture on the day you want to serve the dish. You can also make the beef mixture and freeze it in the pan, and add the potato mixture the day that you bake the dish. Mashed potatoes do not freeze well; they become watery. Add an extra 45 minutes if you do not thaw the beef mixture before adding the potatoes and baking.