The secret is the tomato soup! My guys prefer it over the brown gravy version, though both are great!
Already prepared mashed potatoes from the grocery make this dish a snap to make while still keeping that great homemade flavor.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/4 lblean ground beef
1-2 clovegarlic cloves, chopped
1/4 tspblack pepper
1 can(s)tomato soup, condensed
1 can(s)green beans, drained (french green beans do not work well)
6 mediumpotatoes, cooked, mashed with milk and butter or 2 packages of refrigerated mashed potatoes from your grocery (instant do not taste as good but i have used them)
1 pkgshredded cheese of your choice
How to Make SHEPHERD'S PIE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Peel potatoes, rinse well, cut into cubes and place in large sauce pan. Cover with water and and bring to boil on med-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking; Using a large skillet, brown ground beef with onions and garlic until no longer pink and onions are tender. Add pepper and salt but keep in mind the soup is high sodium. I have skipped the salt added pepper only. Remove from heat.
- Add canned soup to meat mixture in skillet. Gently fold in drained green beans.
- Drain cooked potatoes, return to pot and mash with small amounts of butter and warm milk until you like the consistency. Add salt to taste. At this point you can add in shredded cheese of your choice; Cheddar, Colby, Pepper Jack, etc. I sprinkle in shredded cheese according to how "cheesey" I want it. (Also great without adding cheese) If using prepared refrigerated mashed potatoes from your grocery store, garlic mashed potatoes work great and you can add cheese or leave it out. Both taste great! Note: Take packaged mashed potatoes out of the fridge while browning meat to take off the chill.
- Place meat mixture in a 13 X 9 baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top and bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes, the longer you bake the potatoes become a little crispy on top. I usually bake at 350 for 40 min. or 400 for 30 min.