Shepherd's Cheesy Pie
1-1/2 to 2 lbground beef, 90 - 96% lean
1 largeonion, chopped
1 pkgliptons soup and dip mix (1 packet)
2 tspbeef base concentrated beef stock (or two beef buillions)
3 Tbspcorn starch
1 1/2 cpeas or mixed vegetables (either)
5 mediumpotatoes (cut up and simmered until soft)
2 - 3 ccheddar cheese
4 Tbspshredded parmasan cheese (optional)
How to Make Shepherd's Cheesy Pie
- In a large skillet, fry the hamburger until fully cooked. Drain the grease from the hamburger, by spooning out the hamburger onto a plate by using a slotted spoon, and then dumping and discarding grease from skillet. Keep hamburger on plate until further use.
Note: Meanwhile, Fill kettle with about 3-4 quarts of water, and add lid, and place kettle on another burner using high heat, and bring to a boil while cooking hamburger mixture. This is preparing to make the mash potatoes.
- Add Onion to skillet and cook until they are translucent (if need oil, add some butter (1 tbsp) to skillet if wish).
- When Onion is translucent, add the fried hamburger meat to skillet, and stir both Onion and hamburger together in skillet.
Add the Peas or Mixed Vegetables stirring them into the hamburger mixture.
Set hamburger mixture aside until gravy is made.
- Beef Gravy Steps:
1.Take the Lipton Onion packet and put it inside a small 1 quart pan, and add two cups of water, and stir.
2. Put the pan over high heat, and heat to a boiling, then add two teaspoons of the Beef Stock Concentrate (or two buillion cubes), and stir, and then turn down to simmer for ten minutes.
3. After ten minutes of simmering, then bring mixture back to boiling, and then gradually add 3 Tbsp of Corn Starch, whisking rapidly as you gradually sprinkle it into the boiling mixture, until it is all dissolved (not clumped) into the mixture..keep stirring until mixture is thicker, like a gravy consistency.
4. Add the beef gravy to the hamburger mixture.
5. Cook hamburger mixture on low for another five minutes. Add lid to skillet when cooking.
- Mashed Potatoes Steps:
1. Wash the potatoes and then peel them.
2. Cut them into 2 - 3 inch sections, and then place them in the boiling water of kettle (water must be boiling).
3. Add lid onto kettle and turn down to simmering, and simmer them for 30 minutes or until soft.
4. Once potatoes are cooked, then drain them using a colandar, discarding all the remaining water (carefully).
5. Add the potatoes to your mixer, or using a masher, mash them (whatever way is best..I use a mixer).
6. After they are completely mashed, then add butter, and stir and blend into the potatoes.
7. Gradually add the milk, a little bit at a time, until the potatoes are a fluffy consistency. You may need more milk, in case it is too clumpy..but make sure the potatoes are fluffy and not runny (why a little milk at a time is required).
8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (to your taste).
- Add the hamburger mixture to a 3 - 4 quart baking dish, spreading it evenly in the dish.
Sprinkle the pepper (and salt) over the hamburger mixture.
Add the mashed potato mixture evenly over top the hamburger mixture.
Add the 2-3 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese evenly over top the Mashed Potato mixture.
(also can add the Shredded Parmesan Cheese, but is optional)
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes on 400 degrees.