SCATTERED SMOTHERED SANDWICH (SALLYE)
It can be served on buns as sandwiches or over rice or mashed potatoes for a main meat entree.
Either way, I think you'll like it. Sorry I forgot to take pix until the sandwiches were all devoured.
1-1/2 lblean ground beef
1 pkgdry onion soup mix
1 tspsea salt
1 Tbspground black pepper
1 tspgarlic powder
1 mediumgreen bell pepper, finely minced
1 can(s)beef broth
8 ozgrated cheese (your favorite)
4 to 6hamburger or hoagie buns
How to Make SCATTERED SMOTHERED SANDWICH (SALLYE)
- Place ground beef in mixing bowl and gently work onion soup mix, salt, pepper and garlic powder into the meat.
Remove stem, veins and seeds from bell pepper and finely mince.
- Lightly spray olive oil cooking spray into heavy skillet (cast iron is best) and heat to medium high heat.
- When skillet is hot, add bell peppers, then crumble meat mixture into it and cook until meat is "grey" stirring frequently to avoid burning.
Drain any excess fat from meat at this time.
- In same skillet, add beef broth to meat mixture.
Mix cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve and make a thin paste. Stir this into meat and broth mixture until well blended.
- Turn heat to a low simmer and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes until most of liquid is rendered down into a nice thick gravy.
Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- TO SERVE AS A SANDWICH:
Heat oven to 350º
Place buns on large baking sheet, tops and bottoms separated.
When meat mixture is ready, spoon over each bottom portion of buns, sprinkle with cheese and place in oven until cheese is bubbly.
Remove from oven and place top portion of bun over the bottom of sandwich and immediately transfer to serving plate.
Good served with chips and coleslaw.
- TO SERVE AS A MEAT DISH:
Spoon meat mixture over cooked steamed rice or mashed potatoes and serve with your choice of sides and garlic toast.
- ENJOY YOUR TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE!!!