Scandinavian Beef Stew
I usually use a pressure cooker when I make this, but I will post the recipe for just using the stove.
- 3 lb
- lean organic beef, trimmed of silver
- 6 Tbsp
- organic raw butter
- 1 lb
- fresh mushroom...button, or mixed, sliced
- 2 medium
- onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp
- fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground pepper, i love using a mixture of pepper
- a pinch of allspice
- oregon myrtle leaf, or you can use bayleaf
- 2 c
- of beef bouillon or you can use 2 beef bouillion cubes and 2 cubes of water
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- sour cream
How to Make Scandinavian Beef Stew
- 1Saute mushrooms in a little butter, remove from pan and set aside.
- 2Brown the meat in remaining butter. Add salt and pepper. Remove meat.
- 3Add the onions and cook until transparent. Add the meat back in.
- 4Add the allspice, myrtle leaf, and bouillion.
- 5Cook covered until meat is tender, on a medium low fire. Add more liquid if needed.
- 6Mix the flour and water together ( do this even before I start the stew, I add the flour and water together in a jar and shake it, then shake again before I add it to the stew. That way I don't have any lumps.) Add slowly to stew and stir constantly until thick.
- 7Lightly stir in the mushrooms.
- 8Take off stove and stir in the sour cream slowly.
- 9Return to low heat until hot...DO NOT LET IT BOIL or the sour cream will cruddle.
- 10Serve over a baked potatoes or noodles or boiled potatoes