Originally a recipe card from Meijer, I went hog-wild tinkering with it, until it turned into this! Great as an entree, can also be used as an appetizer. I recommend serving them with a warmed dipping queso, but they're good without as well.
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 1/2 c
- medium salsa
- 1 can(s)
- corn, drained
- 2 c
- shredded mexican blend cheese
- 2 (12 oz) pkg
- refrigerated biscuit dough (10 rolls per pkg)
How to Make Savoury Empanadas
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet combine beef, onions and cumin; cook, stirring, over medium heat until beef is browned; drain fat. Stir in salsa; simmer, uncovered, 7 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Stir in cheese.
- 2For each turnover, roll 1 biscuit to a 5-inch diameter. Spoon 2 tbsp of beef mix onto each biscuit. Fold dough in half over filling and pinch the edges to seal. Place turnovers on a baking sheet.
- 3Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly. Serve warm.
Var. 1: Use 1 1/2 cup drained black beans instead of corn.
Var. 2: Use 2 (12 oz) cans of refried beans instead of meat...just cook onions, then mix in beans and heat through.