Savory Swiss Steak Sizzle
1 lbbeef round steak
1 cbeef stock
1 can(s)15 oz diced tomatoes or equivalent fresh and chopped
1 largeonion, diced
1 largeclove garlic, minced
How to Make Savory Swiss Steak Sizzle
- Cut the steak into approximately equal pieces of about 4 ounces each. Pound both size with the dimpled side of a meat tenderizer. Do not turn it into a cobweb, but do but a bit of effort to it. Salt and pepper one side and lay seasoned side down in a shallow dish with flour. Salt and pepper the other side, and turn over, pressing lightly. Pick up and shake off excess.
- Place the floured pieces of meat into a saute pan in which you have heated about 2 tbsp of canola oi. Fry until browned, turn, and brown the other side.
- Add the beef stock, reduce the heat to a bare simmer. Slice the onion into either medium slices or into dice. Add the garlic and stir around to distribute around the pan. Then lay in the onions. Add the tomatoes, and add more pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Check occasionally. Meat should "give" and break apart after three hours.
- Place softened butter into a small bowl and add the equal amount of flour. Using a fork, mash and scrape, until it is one homogeneous mass of raw roux. Add in tsp to the simmering meat. It will melt out quickly. Turn up the heat to bring to a soft boil, and allow the "gravy" to thicken into a sauce consistency.
- This serves well with either boiled or mashed potatoes with the meat "sauce" serving as a great gravy.