Savory Beef Stroganoff~Robynne
The key is a good cut of beef such as flank steak (cut across the grain), beef tenderloin or top sirloin, browned quickly in butter in an uncrowded pan.
Disclaimer: I have always used recipes as a guide and use my instincts and experience to alter or omit ingredients as I cook. Therefore, it has always been a challenge when sharing recipes with others. I doubt I make dishes the same way twice. So, I advise you to use my recipes the same way. Trust your experience and adjust to your personal taste~Robynne
Serve on a bed of homemade or homestyle egg noodles and your favorite veggie :)
2 1/4 lbflank steak, tenderloin or top sirloin
3 clovegarlic, halved
1 conion, chopped
26 oz cans button mushrooms, drained **i usually omit these
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1/8 tspblack pepper
3beef bouillon, cubes, crumbled **i usually substitute beef base
10 1/2 ozcondensed beef broth
1/4 cdry white wine
1 Tbspfresh dill, snipped or 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
1 csour cream
How to Make Savory Beef Stroganoff~Robynne
- FREEZE STEAK for 15 minutes; it will be easier to slice.
- Trim off excess fat. Slice steak, 1/4 inch thick in 2 " strips.
- I season my steak with granulated garlic and pepper at this point, but it is my personal preference.
- In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter until very hot. Add sliced steak (just enough to cover bottom, do not overcrowd); brown quickly on both sides. Remove from pan as it browns; continue browning the rest of the beef; add more butter if needed.
- Add remaining butter to skillet. Saute garlic , onion and mushrooms 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard garlic.
- Stir in flour until smooth; add bouillon cubes or beef base. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to boiling, stirring until thickened; reduce heat and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Over low heat, stir in wine, dill and sour cream. Add the browned beef; heat slowly until thoroughly hot.
- Serve on buttery egg noodles or white rice if you prefer.