Savory Beef Stroganoff~Robynne
The key is a good cut of beef such as flank steak (cut across the grain), beef tenderloin or top sirloin, browned quickly in butter in an uncrowded pan.
Disclaimer: I have always used recipes as a guide and use my instincts and experience to alter or omit ingredients as I cook. Therefore, it has always been a challenge when sharing recipes with others. I doubt I make dishes the same way twice. So, I advise you to use my recipes the same way. Trust your experience and adjust to your personal taste~Robynne
Serve on a bed of homemade or homestyle egg noodles and your favorite veggie :)
- 2 1/4 lb
- flank steak, tenderloin or top sirloin
- 6 Tbsp
- 3 clove
- garlic, halved
- 1 c
- onion, chopped
- 6 oz cans button mushrooms, drained **i usually omit these
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- black pepper
- beef bouillon, cubes, crumbled **i usually substitute beef base
- 10 1/2 oz
- condensed beef broth
- 1/4 c
- dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh dill, snipped or 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1 c
- sour cream
How to Make Savory Beef Stroganoff~Robynne
- 1FREEZE STEAK for 15 minutes; it will be easier to slice.
- 2Trim off excess fat. Slice steak, 1/4 inch thick in 2 " strips.
- 3I season my steak with granulated garlic and pepper at this point, but it is my personal preference.
- 4In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter until very hot. Add sliced steak (just enough to cover bottom, do not overcrowd); brown quickly on both sides. Remove from pan as it browns; continue browning the rest of the beef; add more butter if needed.
- 5Add remaining butter to skillet. Saute garlic , onion and mushrooms 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard garlic.
- 6Stir in flour until smooth; add bouillon cubes or beef base. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to boiling, stirring until thickened; reduce heat and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 5 minutes.
- 7Over low heat, stir in wine, dill and sour cream. Add the browned beef; heat slowly until thoroughly hot.
- 8Serve on buttery egg noodles or white rice if you prefer.