Sausage, Onion and Pepper Fajita Sandwich
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I LOVE both fajitas and smoked sausage, so this combination was a real hit with me. The Crew and I enjoyed this on a hoagie roll, but we can’t wait to try it as a wrap, too! The Test Kitchen
- 12 - 18 oz
- smoked sausage (2 or 3 links)
- small yellow onions
- green bell pepper
- red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 bunch
- chives (about 4 stalks)
- handful fresh spinach
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 1/3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- flour or cornstarch
- 1 pkg
- fajita seasoning
- long individual bread rolls / buns
How to Make Sausage, Onion and Pepper Fajita Sandwich
- 1Heat olive oil in pan.
- 2Slice up onions and peppers into thin strips. Add to pan, sautee until tender, stirring every few minutes. Cover pan to keep moisture in and to keep veggies tender.
- 3Slice sausage into smaller pieces about 3 or 4 inches long. Add to sautee pan. (If you slice sausage "julienne" style, it makes it easier to eat out of the bun later on!)
- 4Chop chives, add to pan.
- 5Add water and fajita seasoning to pan. Stir well, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Chop spinach, add to pan. At this point, you will see if you need more water. It is good to have water simmering at the bottom of the pan. Add more water if need to, then add the cornstarch/flour. Mix well to form thick sauce, adding more water / flour / cornstarch, if needed. Put cover back on and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 7I like to arrange my bread rolls on top of the pan cover to warm them up that way. After the last 5 minute simmer, dish is done. Let sit for a few minutes and serve on warm bread. :)