Sage And Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs Over Cheese
Dredged in flour & seared, the ribs are velvety tender little morsels layered w/ flavor from the beer, beef stock,& fresh herbs. If you have homemade stock it makes all the difference but canned also works. Peppers, onion, & beef are beautiful together.
Forsake mashed potatoes & try cheese tortellini. A slab of beer bread and a cold brew rounds out this meal perfectly!
- 1 lb
- beef short ribs
- to 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil (2 to 3 for searing meat and the rest for sauteing vegetables)
- red pepper
- large carrot sticks
- large onion
- 2 pinch
- of salt and pepper, or to taste
- 14 oz
- of beef stock (homemade or canned)
- 1 c
- beer (budweiser or your choice)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh sage (plus a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh chives
- 1 pkg
- of cheese tortellini
- fresh parmesan or romano cheese for grating on top
How to Make Sage And Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs Over Cheese
- 1Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy Dutch oven or soup pan over medium high heat.
Coat beef short ribs with flour on all sides.
Sear on all sides until browned.
Remove meat and set aside.
- 2Add 1 more tablespoon of oil and vegetables into the Dutch oven. Saute for about 8 minutes.
They won't be done. You're just getting them started and they'll finish cooking with the meat.
- 3Pour in beer to deglaze the pan.
Cook 3 or 4 minutes to slightly reduce.
- 4Then add beef stock.
Stir and cook long enough to dissolve to a smooth texture if it's homemade. Canned will only take a couple of minutes.
- 5Nestle ribs back into the pot with the vegetables.
Stir herbs into mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer on medium low for about 2 hours, until ribs are pull apart tender and vegetables are soft.
- 6While meat rests for 10 minutes, cook cheese tortellini according to package directions. I boil them for 6 to 7 minutes.
Spoon beef short ribs and vegetables over tortellini.
Grate fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese over top and garnish with herbs.