★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- roast beef, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 3/4 lb
- potatoes, cubed and cooked and drained
- onions, finely chopped
- green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp
- "just a pinch" of salt
- "just a pinch" of pepper
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1.5 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
How to Make Roast Beef Hash
- 1In mixing bowl, stir together the roast beef, potatoes, onions, pepper, heavy cream, parsley, salt and pepper until thoroughly blended.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil in 10- inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat.
- 3Add hash mixture, and use spatula or back of a wooden spoon to pack it down firmly in skillet, on top and all around its sides to make a neat, solid cake.
- 4Reduce heat to low and cook the hash, shaking skillet occasionally to keep hash from sticking, until its underside is crusty and well browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5Unmold hash cake onto large dinner plate by inverting plate over the skillet, holding it there firmly, and turning skillet and plate over together.
- 6Raise heat and add the remaining butter and oil to skillet.
- 7Slide flipped hash cake back into pan, reduce heat and cook it for 8 to 10 minutes more.