Red Wine Beef Stew With Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Next time I make it, I'll add pictures. :)
I serve the meat in the same dish (a shallow bowl) but I don't top off the potatoes with the stew but rather have them side by side. I just like it better this way.
I also keep the potatoes with small chunks in it. Again, I just like the potatoes better this way.
3 lbbeef stew meat, top round or chuck, cubed
1 Tbspkosher salt
1 Tbspblack pepper
3 Tbspcanola oil
110 oz. bag frozen pearl onions, peeled
3carrots, rough cut dice
4stalks celery, rough cut dice
1head of garlic (or less to taste), peeled and finely chopped
2 cred wine, preferably zinfandel
6 clow-sodium beef stock (not broth)
3sprigs of fresh thyme, stems removed
2large russet potatoes, peeled and rough chopped
2 Tbspkosher salt
1 csour cream
·1/2 to 1 cup of real unsalted butter
2 Tbspprepared horseradish
How to Make Red Wine Beef Stew With Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
- Season stew meat with salt and pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Dust the stew meat with flour and shake off excess.
- In a large Dutch oven, add oil over medium high heat.
- Add stew meat and brown on all sides (about 7 to 10 minutes). It may be necessary to brown the meat in batches to get an even browning.
- After the meat is browned, take it out of the Dutch oven and set to the side to rest.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery to Dutch oven and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the beef stock, stew meat and thyme to the Dutch oven. Bring the stew to a boil and then turn the heat down to low. Simmer the stew for about 1 to 2 hours until the meat is very tender.
- Adjust the seasoning of the stew with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve the stew with horseradish mashed potatoes and garnish with chopped parsley.
- (FOR POTATOES)
- In a medium pot, add diced potatoes and cover with cold water. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer potatoes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and add the sour cream, butter and prepared horseradish. Mash all ingredients together until combined.
- Season with additional salt if necessary.