1 1/2- 2 lblean round steak-or lean boneless stew
3 Tbspquick tapioca
3-5 mediumonions sliced
2 lbcarrots sliced thickly
5-10 mediumpotatoes chunked-
2 Tbspbrown sugar
2 ctomatoe juice-maybe a little more
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Rainbow Stew
- take the meat that has been cut up into chunks and place in the bottom of a large roasting pan which has a tight fitting lid
- sprinkle the meat with the tapioca,then layer the sliced onions,chunks of potatoes,slices of carrots and chunks of celery on top of the meat
- sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar-(do not use white sugar if possible)salt and pepper over the ingredients already listed.
- add the tomatoe juice over all- I might use a little more as I like having the extra juice and it makes sure that it doesn't dry up when it is cooking.
- bake at 250*F for 4 hours without touching it or lifting the lid. You can add some garlic for extra flavour- I would crush a couple of cloves and add-
- could be served with a green salad and of course fresh buns or bread- this was always a favourite