Pot roast with red wine sauce
·one boneless beef chuck roast, 4 1/2 pounds, tied
·salt and pepper
·1 teaspoon vegetable oil
·1 pound carrots
·1 pound frozen pearl onions
·three cloves garlic, pressed
·1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
·1 cup dry red wine
·one can no salt added diced tomatoes, drained, 28 ounces
·one bay leaf
·fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish
How to Make Pot roast with red wine sauce
- with paper towels, Pat beef dry. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
- In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil on medium high. Add beef and cook 10 to 13 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Transfer to a 6 quart slow cooker.
- While meat Browns, peel carrots and cut into 2 inch chunks. Transfer to slow cooker.
- To same skillet, add onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook two minutes or until Golden, stirring often. Add wine. Cook three minutes, stirring and scraping up browned bits. Transfer to slow cooker along with tomatoes and Bay leaf. Cover with lid and cook on low 10 hours.
- Transfer beef to cutting board. Discard strings. Cut off one third of beef. Transfer to container along with one third of vegetables for another meal. Refrigerate up to three days. Transfer remaining vegetables to serving platter. Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer cooking liquid from slow cooker to 8 cup liquid measuring cup. Discard fat. Pour one third of liquid into container. Refrigerate up to three days.
Slice meat across grain and arrange on serving platter with vegetables. Pour remaining cooking liquid over all. Garnish with parsley. Makes six Main dish servings.