Pot Roast with Horseradish Sauce1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 4 lb
- beef chuck cross rib roast
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
- onion, chopped
- 2.25 c
- tomato juice
- 1/4 c
- prepared horseradish
- 2 Tbsp
- dry sherry
How to Make Pot Roast with Horseradish Sauce
- 1In a dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat.
- 2Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- 3Pour off fat drippings.
- 4Cook onions in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often.
- 5Add tomato juice, horseradish and wine; mix well.
- 6Return meat to pan and cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until done (or cook in a 325 oven for same amount of time).
- 7Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout and baste with sauce.
- 8Skim off excess fat.
- 9If sauce is too thin, remove meat to a platter and keep warm.
- 10Mix 2 tablespoons flour in 1/3 cup cold water.
- 11Add mixture slowly to sauce and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 12Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- 13If sauce needs only a little thickening, remove meat, skim off excess fat, and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes.
- 14Slice meat and serve sauce.