Pot Roast with Horseradish Sauce1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 lbbeef chuck cross rib roast
2 Tbspcooking fat
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 conion, chopped
2.25 ctomato juice
1/4 cprepared horseradish
2 Tbspdry sherry
How to Make Pot Roast with Horseradish Sauce
- In a dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- Pour off fat drippings.
- Cook onions in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often.
- Add tomato juice, horseradish and wine; mix well.
- Return meat to pan and cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until done (or cook in a 325 oven for same amount of time).
- Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout and baste with sauce.
- Skim off excess fat.
- If sauce is too thin, remove meat to a platter and keep warm.
- Mix 2 tablespoons flour in 1/3 cup cold water.
- Add mixture slowly to sauce and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- If sauce needs only a little thickening, remove meat, skim off excess fat, and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes.
- Slice meat and serve sauce.