★★★★★ 1 vote5
11 boneless chuck pot roast or arm roast, (3–31?2 lb.)
2 Tbspolive oil
2 cshiitake mushrooms, stemmed, halved (31?2 oz.)
1 1/2 conion, diced
2/3 ccarrot, diced
2/3 ccelery, diced
1/4 cgarlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tspred pepper flakes
3 Tbsptomato paste
1/2 cpretzels, finely ground
2 bottleguinness or other dark beer (12 oz. each)
2 cchicken or beef broth
2 Tbspdijon mustard
2 Tbspworcestershire sauce
3carrots, peeled, cut into 3"-long chunks
·chopped fresh parsley
How to Make Pot Roast Par Excellence
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Trim meat of excess fat and season
with salt and pepper;
- Heat oil over medium-high in an ovenproof Dutch
oven. Sear roast on both sides until
brown, 8–10 minutes total. Remove
roast from the pan.
- Sweat mushrooms, vegetables, and
seasonings in the pot for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cook 2 minutes,
then stir in the pretzels.
- Deglaze with Guinness, scraping
up the brown bits on the bottom
of the pan; stir in broth, Dijon, and
- Return the seared roast to the pot and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover the pot, then
transfer to the oven; braise roast for
- After 2 hours, remove pot from the oven and turn the roast over with a carving fork.
Add carrot chunks, then cover and
return pot to the oven. Braise another
45 minutes, or until the meat is
- To serve, transfer roast and carrots to a platter and cut meat into chunks. Bring sauce to a simmer,
skimming off fat, then spoon it over
Garnish with parsley.