Pot Roast In Savory Cheese Sauce1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 5 lb
- beef chuck pot roast
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium
- onion, sliced
- 10.75 oz
- cheddar cheese soup, condensed
- 8 oz
- tomato sauce
- 4 oz
- mushrooms, sliced and drained
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make Pot Roast In Savory Cheese Sauce
- 1In a dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat.
- 2Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- 3Pour off fat drippings.
- 4Cook onion in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often.
- 5Add soup, tomato sauce, mushrooms, oregano and basil; mix well.
- 6Return meat to pan.
- 7Cover and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until done (or cook in a 325 oven for same amount of time).
- 8Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout.
- 9Skim off excess fat.
- 10If sauce is too thin, remove meat to a platter and keep warm.
- 11Mix 2 tablespoons flour in 1/3 cup cold water.
- 12Add mixture slowly to sauce.
- 13Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 14Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- 15If sauce needs only a little thickening, remove meat, skim off excess fat, and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes.
- 16Slice meat and serve with gravy.
- 17Frozen beef chuck arm pot roasts and beef chuck blade roasts may be browned under the broiler.
- 18Place meat on boiler pan rack, then place pan in center of oven.
- 19Brown to one side, about 10 minutes.
- 20Turn meat and brown other side, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 21Meat should be completely thawed after browning.