Pot Roast In Savory Cheese Sauce1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
5 lbbeef chuck pot roast
2 Tbspcooking fat
·salt and pepper to taste
1 mediumonion, sliced
10.75 ozcheddar cheese soup, condensed
8 oztomato sauce
4 ozmushrooms, sliced and drained
How to Make Pot Roast In Savory Cheese Sauce
- In a dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- Pour off fat drippings.
- Cook onion in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often.
- Add soup, tomato sauce, mushrooms, oregano and basil; mix well.
- Return meat to pan.
- Cover and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until done (or cook in a 325 oven for same amount of time).
- Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout.
- Skim off excess fat.
- If sauce is too thin, remove meat to a platter and keep warm.
- Mix 2 tablespoons flour in 1/3 cup cold water.
- Add mixture slowly to sauce.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- If sauce needs only a little thickening, remove meat, skim off excess fat, and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes.
- Slice meat and serve with gravy.
- Frozen beef chuck arm pot roasts and beef chuck blade roasts may be browned under the broiler.
- Place meat on boiler pan rack, then place pan in center of oven.
- Brown to one side, about 10 minutes.
- Turn meat and brown other side, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meat should be completely thawed after browning.