★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 lbbeef roast with bone
2 pkglipton beefy onion soup
·garlic (to taste)
·salt and pepper (to taste)
1small baby carrots (1 bag)
·small red potatoes (2 per person)
How to Make pot roast
- Quickly sear all sides of roast in hot iron skillet. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Salt and Pepper roast, and put it on rack in deep roasting pan. Roasting pan will need a lid or you can cover with foil.
- Chop and add onion and garlic.
- In approximately 3-4 cups of hot water, dissolve Lipton soup mix together with flour. Add to bottom of roasting pan. Do not cover the roast - okay for this mixture to come up on sides of roast. The amount of fluid and flour depend on the size of the roast and the size of your roasting pan -- this will automatically make the gravy while the roast cooks.
- Cover and put in 325 degree oven. Roast for 2 hours, but watch the liquid mixture. If it gets too thick, add water. I usually add water and, if needed, more flour, to make the gravy the consistency that I want it and to make sure that there is plenty of liquid in the roasting pan while the roast cooks.
- After 2 hours or when top of roast is brown, turn the roast over. Check level of liquid. Add water or flour as needed. Do NOT cover the roast with liquid.
- When you turn over the roast, add carrots and cut-up red potatoes (I usually cut mine into big chunks).
- Roast for an additional 1-1/2 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the roast and the tenderness preferred for the vegetables.
- I like to cook the roast until it falls apart or I can pull it apart with my roasting fork. You may not need to cook your roast this long if you prefer to slice it. If you do prefer to slcie the roast, let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.