Portuguese Pot Roast in Wine & Garlic
- 4 c
- dry red wine
- 1 can(s)
- (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp
- minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp
- fresh oregano, chopped
- bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp
- 3 lb
- rump roast, strings removed and cut into 3 equal pieces
- 1 1/2 lb
- portuguese chourico, cut into 6-inch pieces
- garlic cloves, crushed
- spanish onions, chopped
- 5 c
- cold water
- 8 medium
- yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 medium
- carrots, peeled and cut in half crosswise
How to Make Portuguese Pot Roast in Wine & Garlic
- 1In a medium mixing bowl, whisk half the wine into tomato paste until smooth.
- 2Stir in herbs. Set aside.
- 3Place beef and chourice pieces in covered (18 X 12 X 7 1/2-inch) oval roasting pan. Evenly distribute garlic and onions around meat. Pour in wine mixture. Add the water and remaining wine. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight or up to 48 hours.
- 4Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove pan from fridge, place on bottom rack of oven and cook covered for 2 hours. As marinade reduces to gravy, baste meat often to keep moist.
- 5Remove chourice, cover with foil and keep warm.
- 6Lower temperature to 400 degrees. Add potatoes and carrots; cook covered for 30 minutes; uncover and continue cooking until meat is browned and potatoes tender, about 30 minutes more.
- 7NOTE: If gravy is too liquid, remove meat and vegs, place pan on top of stove and cook uncovered over medium-high heat until reduced. If too thick, add water.