★★★★★ 1 vote5
·choose steaks 1" thick. one small for each person or a larger steak to feed several. this recipe works either way although i generally use 1 larger steak to feed 2-4
·sea salt and black pepper
DE-GLAZED SAUCE (OPTIONAL)
1 cgood red wine
1 Tbspdijon mustard
·garlic, basil, oregano----you decide
How to Make Perfect Steak
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. While oven heats lightly coat both sides of steak with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and a light coating of garlic powder to taste on both sides.
- Heat cast iron skillet on stove top until very hot (400-500 degrees). Place a single drop of water on pan. It should dance for a second before disappearing. Pan is now ready.
- Place steak into skillet. It will smoke a lot and pop and sizzle. Wait 2 minutes before moving the steak. Turn over and place on the exact spot it had been on. Cook 2 minutes more. Take off heat.
- Put pats of butter on top of each steak and place skillet in oven. Check temperature after 2-3 minutes. Take out when temperature is 135 degrees.
- Put steak onto a plate and cover with foil. Rest for 5 minutes.
- While steak is resting you may wish to deglaze the pan. Add shallots. 1 cup red wine (not cooking wine!), dijon mustard, a bit of garlic, fresh basil or oregano. Reduce and pour over steaks.