Pantry Shepherd's Pie
I called it "pantry" because you can throw this together with whatever you have in the pantry or larder. It is quick, easy, impressive, and satisfying.
We used biscuits for the top, but many people use mashed potatoes.
I could not find a picture even remotely similar so I just used what I could find - with various toppings.
Thought I would post it before the weather gets too warm because this is definitely a cold weather dish. Warm and comforting.
- 1 lb
- hamburger (or turkey, or chicken, or sausage, or tuna, whatever)
- med onion, chopped
- 2 c
- mixed veggies (your choice)
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can(s)
- buttermilk biscuits (or any kind)
- to taste
- salt and pepper
- to taste
- garlic powder, or any seasoning you like -- i like tones curry powder
How to Make Pantry Shepherd's Pie
- 1Saute the onion.
- 2Add the ground beef and seasonings then lightly brown (no pink, but not over done)
- 3Add the mixed veggies (traditional: peas, carrots, green beans, corn, etc. -- or whatever you like or have on hand from zucchini to broccoli or anything in between) -- can add more seasonings at this point if you like
- 4Cook until veggies are done to your liking
- 5Stir in a can of cream of mushroom soup (or any creamed soup that you like: cheese, celery, etc.) (If you don't have that you can use sour cream and shredded cheese, or cottage cheese, or whatever you think will work to make a thick gravy-like consistency -- even canned or homemade gravy, or marinara sauce.)
- 6Place all in a 9x13 casserole and open the biscuits and place them on top
Bake 350 F till the biscuits are golden brown (or follow package instructions).
- 7You can also top with any one of the following:
A. Bisquick drop biscuits, or make a batter and spread it on top (drop is easier)
B. 2 cups of prepared mashed potatoes mixed with cheese (can be instant or homemade)
C. Pie/Pastry Dough rolled to fit the pan -- or placed on in pieces as you wish
D. Corn bread -- either Jiffy or home made
E. Mac and cheese -- any kind
F. Stuffing mix
H. Slices of Garlic bread
I. thawed hash browns or tater tots