Oven Baked Beef Stew1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
4 lbbeef sirloin tip, cubed
2 cdry red wine
1/2 lbbacon, cut into 1/2" and diced
2 Tbspolive oil
2 largechopped onions
4 cchicken broth
2 largegarlic cloves, very thinly sliced
2 tsptomato paste
1.5 tspsalt to taste
1/2 tsppepper to taste
How to Make Oven Baked Beef Stew
- Pour the wine over the beef in a glass or ceramic bowl (metal will give the wine an "off" taste).
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours to marinate.
- Reserving the marinade, drain the beef and dry on paper towels.
- Simmer the bacon for 10 minutes in enough water to cover.
- Drain and pat dry (this rids the bacon of smokiness and some fat).
- In a dutch oven, saute the bacon in olive oil over medium heat until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Working in small batches so the meat browns well, brown the beef cubes in the bacon drippings.
- With a slotted spoon, remove each batch to a bowl.
- Saute the onions and carrots in the drippings until wilted and beginning to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to the bowl of meat.
- Heat 3 cups of broth in a saucepan.
- Pour out any drippings that remain in the dutch oven.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in the dutch oven, then stir in the flour.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to keep the mixture moving.
- When the paste is a dark golden brown, stir in the broth.
- Simmer a minute or two, then stir in the tomato paste, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and meat and stir in the reserved wine marinade.
- Quickly bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 325 oven for about 2 hours.
- If the sauce gets too thick, thin it with the extra cup of broth.
- TO SERVE AFTER FREEZING: Thaw according to recommendations.
- Reheat in a covered casserole at 325 for about 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- You might add freshly cooked vegetables (mushrooms, baby carrots and steamed potatoes).