Open Faced Steak Sandwich
I've never been a "Short Order Cook", but two of these were done in 17 1/2 minutes. From heating up the french fry pan and oil and the second steak pan, to rinsing and slicing the fries, skin on, from "Idahos", to the toast and the garnish to plate. It's nothing but FUN. PURE and Simple FUN. It was Supper. The farm boy in me is showing. Contrary to popular belief, Dinner was at Noon, believe it or not!! Supper not dinner, was when the sun went down, and the chores were done. We hoped. And yes, Dinner was at Noon. Southerners and Farmers know what I am talking about.
A small 3 to 4 oz. steak will do it. Can be thin cut Butt, Sirloin, Rib Eye or Filet Mignon (Tenderloin). Almost any semi-tender steak will do.
A real Treat is to splurge on "Prime Beef" Steaks, if you can find them. I have a Meat Market specializing in Prime Beef near me and it's an occasional treat.
- 3 to 4 oz
- steak your choice
- 1 or 2 slice
- toasted bread your choice un-buttered i prefer rye
- salt and pepper
- bit of butter and olive oil to fry
- 1/2 tsp
- gravy master or kitchen boquet to char if desired
- 1 or 2
- leaf of lettuce
- 2 slice
- 4 or 5 slice
- dill pickle
- order of fries and cole slaw on the side
How to Make Open Faced Steak Sandwich
- 1In frying pan heat butter and oil. Lightly salt and pepper both sides of steak. Fry steak to desired level. 3 to 4 minutes a side over high heat. I prefer medium rare. Nice pink center. In second pan with 1/2" Vegetable oil cook Fries till golden brown, add a little salt after plating.
- 2If you like a little char, add 1/2 teaspoon of Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet atop stake half way through cooking. Turn steak a couple of times and move around pan to char both sides. The sugar in these products burn and char nicely. I prefer the char. They will mess the pan a little, but most pans today clean up easily. Also splatters a little but worth it to me.
- 3Meanwhile toast bread of choice. Place steak on toasted bread, don't cover leave open faced.
- 4Garnish with a slice of Lettuce, a couple slices of Tomato and some Dill Pickle slices. Provide Fries and Slaw or choice on the side, such as Cottage Cheeses or Potato Salad. I like fries with mine, and I like to dip my fries in A-1 Sauce. Got a crowd make more. Enjoy
- 5Note: These were "Filet Mignon" from "Omaha Steaks". I didn't add anything to the steak but a little salt and pepper. Then threw them into a very hot pan for 5 1/2 minutes.