No Shepard for my Pie
You don't have to use the potatoes or the corn, but don't leave out the peas. They really make all the difference in the world. Even my "non-pea eaters" really liked them in this dish because they "pop" and are just slightly sweet.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2-3 lbground beef
2 pkgdry onion soup mix (lipton brand gives best flavor)
1 smallpkg frzn peas
1 can(s)corn (optional)
·salt & pepper to taste
2 boxjiffy cornbread mix (or brand of your choice)
·sour cream (optional)
How to Make No Shepard for my Pie
- Brown ground beef in large skillet/pan
- Add peas to ground beef in skillet and stir
Cover .. you're looking to thaw & pre-cook the peas
Remove lid and finish browning the beef.
Put a good brown on it for good flavor
- Using slotted spoon, remove beef & peas to 9x13 dish.
- Top beef & peas with 2 pkgs dry onion soup mix..create even layer
DO NOT STIR
- Add/layer can of corn if you are using it
You can choose to drain the corn or add it w/it's juice ..w/juice = a little sweeter and little wetter end product.
- Add oil to pan if neccessary to fry potatoes.
Fry until soft but not cooked through
- Add/layer potatoes on top of beef + seasoning
Do Not Drain
Salt & Pepper potato layer
- Prep cornbread to pkg instructions
Pour over top of ALL
Top with shred cheese if you have some.
- Bake at 425 degrees or temp required on cornbread mix pkg/box till cornbread is cooked through.
Remove from oven and let set 10 min.before serving
Offer Sour Cream w/serving if you like it or have it available