No loafin’ here meatloaf
Irisa Raina 9
The reason I cook down the ketchup is, well for one thing this is how my mother did it anytime she made meatloaf, stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage.
And for another reason it turns the ketchup into tomato candy! All the sugars just go crazy and you really could eat it all by its self.
And using the 85/15 blend assures you won’t have any grease to deal with.
- 2 & ½ pounds of ground round 85/15
- ¼ medium red onion “ chopped fine”
- 2 or 3 roasted garlic cloves “smashed”
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 slices of bread “ crust removed “
- 1 – 10.5 ounce can french onion soup “ drained “
- ½ cup milk 2% “ or whatever you drink”
- 2 cups ketchup “ reduced” to 1 cup and divided in ½
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 & ½ cups panko bread crumbs
How to Make No loafin’ here meatloaf
- 1Take a small sauce pot and put the ketchup in and cook on low “stirring often“to reduce it to 1 cup, set aside. You’ll know it’s done when it gets a dark red in color, also the type of ketchup you use will determine how long you’ll have to cook this as some ketchups are thinner than others. You’ll want to do this on the lowest heat possible, because the sugar can go from candy to belch in a nano second, stir this often too.
- 3Put the bread back into the bowl.
- 6Mix the meat mixture for only a few minutes, if it seems to wet add more Panko “ about ¼ cup “ and mix again.
- 8Take the other 1/3 of the meat and put it on the top and seal the edges.
- 10Bake 350 for about 45 minutes loosely covered, uncover and bake for additional 15 minutes. The time will vary depending on how your oven is and if you make a flatter meatloaf or a more traditional one in a loaf pan.