Niku-Jaga (Japanese Beef Stew)
A favorite of ours in Niku-Jaga which Naoki Sekiya made for us. We have remained in contact with Naoki for over 20 years.
- 3/4 lb
- thinly sliced raw beef, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares
- 4 medium
- white potatoes, peeled, in large cubes
- 2 medium
- onions, peeled, and cut into this semicircles
- 4 tsp
- canola oil
- 2/3 c
- 1/4 c
- sake or dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- soy sauce
How to Make Niku-Jaga (Japanese Beef Stew)
- 1Saute` beef in 2 teaspoons oil for 2 minutes or until browned, then remove from pan along with any meat juices.
- 2Add 2 teaspoons more oil to pan along with the potatoes and onions; saute` 2 minutes until onions get separated.
- 3Add water, sake, and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook loosely covered until potatoes re half done. Add soy sauce and the beef along with any juices; bring to a boil again and cook loosely covered until potatoes are quite tender (15 minutes). Serve hot.
- 4I suggest if you do not use Sake you add 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger along with the soy sauce to give it extra flavor.