Never Fail Shepard's Pie
1. You can make in a big hurry with instant potatoes (add about 1/2 cup water more) by not baking it in the oven
2. You can make it in the crock pot (make potatoes a bit more softer)
3. Can bake faster without worry, at a higher temperature.
This dish should become "your own" after making it, some times.
My family loves it and I have made it all different ways.
The recipe I am posting is my and my family's favorite version.
- 4 lb
- potatoes, russets
- 2 lb
- ground beef
- 1 medium
- onions, yellow, medium
- 2 can(s)
- whole kernel corn, drained or 2 cups of frozen corn
- 3 can(s)
- cream corn
- 2 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp
- 6 oz
- cream cheese
- 4 oz
- sour cream
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
How to Make Never Fail Shepard's Pie
- 1Peel and cut potatoes into large cubes and put into a large pot (5 quart) of tap water with the 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a rolling boil and then lower to a simmer for about an hour. The potatoes should be soft and will break to a fork prick. Drain the water when done, add the cream cheese and sour cream and just let the cheeses sit and melt for about 5-10 minutes; then mash.
- 2While the potatoes are boiling, saute the ground beef (without breaking up to much, keep in large chunks because with cooking it will break apart naturally) with the chopped onion at high heat until brown. Keep the temperature on high and add the garlic powder. Continue to saute until the oils are almost gone and the beef is just before drying. = Searing. Then drain the grease (there shouldn't be to much left after cooking it through)
- 3Use a large Casserole dish or baking pan and layer from bottom to top:
all cans of corn
melt on butter to add a golden crust
- 4put dish on a foiled cookie sheet
put into a 375 degree oven until bubbly throughout and browning the top to your own preference.
- 5Serve with biscuits or italian bread and a tossed salad