Nancyb’s Chili-Cheese Corndog Casserole
You can also use a non stick pan and use cooking spray to cook both the dogs and the onions to reduce the fat even further.
- 1 tsp
- each of oil and butter
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- hot dogs, sliced in 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
- 1 can(s)
- chilli no beans (15 oz size)
- 1 pkg
- cornbread mix (8.5 oz size)
- 1/2 - 1 c
- cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- large egg, beatten
- 1/3 c
- sour cream for garnish or add to the cornbread mix
How to Make Nancyb’s Chili-Cheese Corndog Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8x8-inch casserole dish or cake pan with butter or spray with cooking spray.
- 2Heat oil & butter in a skillet over medium heat; add the hot dog slices and cook until hot dogs are browned, 6 minutes, when browned remove from the skillet and set aside to drain and cool a bit.
- 3Add onion to the skillet add more butter and oil if needed, cook and stir, until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili and allow it to just heat through.
- 4Meanwhile, make cornbread mix using the egg, and buttermilk in a bowl with a spoon until batter is just moistened, and then stir in the cooled and cooked hot dogs until they are just incorporated.
- 5Spread half of the corndog batter into the prepared baking dish. Top batter with the chili mixture; add cheese on top of that. Spread remaining half of corndog batter over the top.
- 6Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is bubbling and cornbread topping comes out clean when a toothpick is inserted (into the top half only) and it is golden brown; about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a a dollop of sour cream on top and a salad or veggie side dish.