My Mothers Hamburger Pie- My Johnny's Favorite
My mother made this for us alot when I was a kid. We loved it! Then I made it for my children while they grew up. They all love it! As I decided to put a cook book together of all our fav's, I asked my children what one dish I made was their favorite, this is the one all of them mentioned. But my son John who is 25 yrs old and who I still call Johnny Cakes, always asks me to make this for him as he did just recently, when his daughter, my first granddaughter was born and I brought meals to them. So this is for all of my children and especially you Johnny Cakers Day, you will always be My baby!
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- medium yellow onion, chopped
- (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- (14 1/2 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- potatoes, medium
- salt and pepper, to taste
- slices of medium or sharp cheddar cheese
THESE PICTURES ARE ONES I TOOK OF THE PIE I MADE
How to Make My Mothers Hamburger Pie- My Johnny's Favorite
- 1To make this the way my mom did and I do, this must be made in a large baking bowl. I have tried it in other square dishes and it just is not the same, it tends to cook to fast as well. The bowl makes it a deep dish pie and it melds the flavors together better. This is layered so the flavors bake downward, at least that's my theory. :) Hope you enjoy this as we have, nothing fancy, just a good home cooked meal with love.
- 2Peel and boil the potatoes and mash them as you would your own mashed potaoes. I make mine with sour cream and butter and salt. Do not make them to soft though, you want a stiff mashed potato.
- 3Brown your ground beef and chopped onions until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain. Now you are ready to layer.
- 4First put the cooked beef and onion mix in the bowl. Salt and pepper well. Add the drained corn on top of beef, spread around evenly. Now add the drained green beans evenly over the corn.
About My Mothers Hamburger Pie- My Johnny's Favorite
Show 14 Comments & Reviews