My Family's Steak and Gravy
I've served this to my family, and now that I'm alone, I make a batch and freeze it. Maybe!
I say that because I like it so much I tend to have it for dinner every night until it is gone!!!! lol
This is actually a good company dinner because it can be stretched and not seem skimpy. Just add more onions or mushrooms, and make more gravy.
Obviously it can also be halved, it necessary.
2 lbrounds steak at least 1 1/2 ins thick
3 largeonions, sliced
·garlic (salt, paste, or minced) to taste
1 lbmushrooms of your choice, thick sliced
·soy sauce, low sodium
·all purpose flour
·water, cold, as needed
How to Make My Family's Steak and Gravy
- Slice steak across the grain into 1/8 inch pieces, set aside.
- Steak slice mushrooms, set aside.
- Slice onions in half from top to bottom then sliver thinly into quarter moon pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in large fry pan.
- Add onions and garlic, saute until onions are limp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown steak pieces in batches, adding oil as needed. Set aside.
- Saute mushrooms in butter until soft. Leave in pan.
- Put all steak and onion/garlic back in pan, including accummulated juices.
- Add water to cover, measuring it as you add.
- For each cup of water you will need 2Tbs flour and 2Tbs butter.
- At this point you can add soy sauce to your taste. Pepper may be all you need for seasoning.
- Melt butter and incorporate flour to form a roux.
- Add bits of this roux to the pan, making sure each bit is dissolved before adding another. I find a whisk is the best instrument to use.
- Bring mix to a boil, turn down and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Add gravy master to your preference.
- You can adjust any seasoning, soy sauce, gravy master, pepper, and/or salt.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes with a green veggie and rolls.