My Best Beef Roast
This recipe is prepared in an electric pressure cooker. This makes it safe and easy to prepare in a flash. Alternative cooking methods have been added.
Originally posted to grannysdelights.blogspot.com/...html on March 11, 2010.
3-4 lbchuck roast
·salt, pepper, granulated garlic and steak dust for seasoning
12 ozbottled, good quality dark ale/beer (amber bock or sam adams winter lager) - let it go flat
1 mediumonion, diced
2-4beef bouillon, cubes (or beef soup base - it's a paste)
How to Make My Best Beef Roast
- Trim roast of any excess fat. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast with salt, pepper, garlic and steak dust. Add 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet and then add the roast to brown it really good on all sides. (If your pressure cooker has a browning feature - use it instead.)
- Put roast in pressure cooker (fat side down). Add onion, bay leaves, boullion cubes and pour in beer. Add another bottle's worth of water.
- Lock on your lid. Set pressure cooker to high pressure for 1 hour according to your cooker's directions.
- Let pressure release naturally - this helps with the texture/tenderness of the meat. Remove roast from pressure cooker to a cutting board. Slice across the grain into 6 - 8 servings. Move roast to serving platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Reserve cooking liquid. Use it to make gravy with a cornstarch slurry (3 Tbsp cornstarch to 1/4 cup cold water). Bring liquid to a boil, pour in slurry and whisk to combine. Cook about 5 minutes or until thickened. Taste for seasoning (salt & pepper) before serving.
- Alternative cooking methods:
Using a covered baking pan/roaster, bake in a 350°F oven for 3-3 1/2 hours.
Use a slow cooker and cook for 8-10 hours on LOW.