Muy Bonita Taco Ring
- 1 1/2 lb.
- lean ground beef
- tall bell pepper, any color/variety, slice off top third or half cutting zigzag pattern or straight
- fresh jalapeno(s), seeded and finely chopped, to heat preference (mild, medium or hot)
- small shallot, chopped, (can sub half of a small onion)
- packets taco seasoning mix, or 1 1/2 batches of my homemade
- 1 Tbl.
- tomato paste or ketchup
- 2 cups
- sargento fancy shredded 4 cheese mexican cheese, 1 (8 oz.) bag
- 1/2 cup
- water, more if needed
- 2 (8 oz.)
- packages refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1/2 head
- lettuce, shredded
- roma tomatoes, chopped*, see tip
- 1 small
- green onion, sliced, green and white part both
- 1 cup
- whole black olives, drained, then sliced
- *salt and pepper
- 1 cup
- salsa or guacamole, more if needed, optional
- *sour cream
How to Make Muy Bonita Taco Ring
- 1Preheat oven to 375. In frying pan, combine ground beef, jalapeno(s), shallot and top half of bell pepper(chopped). If you don't want to add the bell pepper, just pop the stem out and freeze the rest in a ziploc baggie for another use. Saute til beef is done. Drain grease. Stir in taco seasoning, and water til well combined. Saute a few minutes til flours have cooked and is very thick. Add half of cheese and stir til cheese has melted.
- 2Arrange crescent roll triangles in a circle on a foil-lined and lightly sprayed pizza pan or cookie sheet overlapping wide ends just a tiny bit and ends are pointing outwards. (Like a sun!) The open inner circle should be about 5-6 inches in diameter. Scoop meat filling over inner wide part of dough evenly all the way around. Sprinkle top of meat filling with rest of cheese. (I don't even measure this part, and add as much as I like!) Fold point ends of triangles over meat and tuck under base best you can. You can stretch the end of the point if needed. But just a little. *Filling will not be completely covered. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to serving platter. In small bowl, toss lettuce, tomato, green onions and olives with a little salt and pepper. Place into center of taco ring. Fill bottom pepper half with salsa or guacamole. Nestle pepper into very center. Place or pipe little dollops of sour cream on top of taco ring all the way around, place a jalapeno ring if desired, and lightly sprinkle sour cream with a little paprika. For serving, cut with knife and use a pie server or small spatula. *Don't forget to add a spoon to the bell pepper bowl for the salsa or guacamole.
*This last time I made them, I used the Big Country Crescent rolls, baked it at 350 for 23 mintes. (So 20-25 minutes will be the same, but 350, not 375.)
- 3Tomato cutting tip:
To get the most from your tomatoes when cutting them, first cut them in half lengthwise. Take one half and lay it flat side down. Cut in half again lengthwise. Holding the 2 halves together, turn and slice crossways into thin slices. You will have nice thin triangles. Repeat with other half. For large tomatoes, cut each half into fourths (four wedges) before slicing.