Mum's Swiss Steak
Always made the same, always served the same :) It was Mum's consistency, I think, that made home cooking something to look forward to and carry with me through life.
- 2 lb
- sirloin steak
- 1 medium
- to large cooking onion, sliced, rings pulled apart
- 28 oz
- canned tomatoes (stewed are nice)
- worchestershire sauce (optional)
How to Make Mum's Swiss Steak
- 2Cut steak into 2 - 3" pieces. Make sure you leave meat covered lightly in flour.
- 5Low simmer covered until most of the liquid is absorbed (need enough liquid to keep it from getting too thick). Stir occasionally for at least 2 hours. Test the meat. You should be able to break it apart easily with a fork. Cook longer if necessary. Mum just added a little water if the sauce started getting too thick. She always served it with mashed potatoes and corn niblets.