Mum's Stove-top Ground Beef Stew With Dumplings
But that doesn't mean YOU shouldn't try them lol Apparently, they are really good with this stew.
I did happen to love the stew and sopped up all the juices with bread. I was also a kid so mine was always topped with ketchup!
Not much has changed lol
- 2 lb
- lean or extra lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium
- cooking onion, chopped
- carrots, cut in small, consistent sized pieces
- 5 medium
- potatoes, peeled and cut (1 - 1 1/2")
- 1 pkg
- frozen green peas (small pkg)
- water to cover beef
- 1 can(s)
- beef broth (plus 1 can water)
- 1 c
- diced tomatoes, drained of liquid
- all purpose flour
- bisquick or other similar biscuit mix, follow directions
How to Make Mum's Stove-top Ground Beef Stew With Dumplings
- 2When meat is browned, cover with water to about 1/2" over the meat, add onion and simmer for 20 mins. Mum never drained the meat first. (watch and stir if necessary to prevent sticking).
- 3Add both the can of broth and can of water and simmer for ½ hr - 45 mins. Stir occasionally to prevent any sticking.
- 4Add cut veggies and a little more salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer slowly till all veggies are done, about 45 mins to 1 hr. Thicken with flour gradually to consistency you prefer.
- 5This is a THIN stew so you need something to sop up the juices. Make small to medium size Bisquick dumplings and plop on top of stew about 15 mins before you eat. Make sure you have enough liquid in the stew, because dumplings will absorb moisture. You turn back the temp so that the dumplings basically steam. Cover for 15 mins and serve. Crusty bread works too :)