MOTHER'S ROAST BEEF RECIPE (SALLYE)
NOTE: THE PREP TIME INCLUDES THE NECESARY MARINATING
Hope you enjoy the notes, if not the recipe.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I was amazed at the flavor of this recipe. I will admit... I was a little nervous it would taste too much like vinegar or coffee when I read the ingredients. But I was pleasantly surprised when I took a bite. It was fall apart delicious. This will be a hit during the holiday's or at a dinner party. The Test Kitchen
- 3 TO 5 lb
- cut of beef (see instructions for options)
- 1 large
- white onion, sliced
- 2 clove
- garlic, sliced
- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 2 c
- strong black coffee
- 2 c
- water (or beef broth)
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make MOTHER'S ROAST BEEF RECIPE (SALLYE)
- 1Use boiling beef, chuck, brisket, or any cheaper cut of roast beef.
Take any 3 to 5 pound roast and use a large knife to cut slits completely through the meat so they look like little tunnels.
Insert the slices of garlic and onion into these slits.
- 2Put beef in bowl and pour 1 cup of vinegar over it making sure the vinegar runs into the slits.
Place this in your refrigerator for from 24 to 48 hours.
- 3When ready to cook the roast, discard the vinegar solution and place meat in heavy pot (iron if possible) and brown in oil until nearly burned on both sides.
- 4Then pour 2 cups of strong black coffee over the roast. Add 2 cups of water and cover.
Cook this slowly at a simmer for 6 hours on top of stove.
Do not season with anything else until 20 minutes before serving - then add salt and pepper - that's all.