MOTHER'S CHALUPAS (SALLYE)
This is a recipe from my Mother's recipe box. As you can see by the notes, she was of the "old school" of cooking. It really is a good recipe, and I think my interpretation will allow you to prepare a tasty meal for your family.
How to Make MOTHER'S CHALUPAS (SALLYE)
- 1OKAY - HERE ARE THE DIRECTIONS VERBATIM FROM MY MOTHER'S RECIPE BOX
Put all of this in a large pan; then salt and add water to top of pan.
Bring to a boil on stove; cover and place in oven for 12 hours.
Later, stir to mix and break up roast; take out all bones and fat or gristle.
Serve over Doritos with chopped onions, lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and hot sauce.
This is easy to make with the cheapest cut of roast and serves a crowd.
- 2NOW - HERE IS MY INTERPRETATION OF HOW TO COOK THIS RECIPE
- 3Wash and drain 1 pound of pinto beans. Pick out any foreign objects such as stone or dirt. Place in large heavy pan with ovenproof cover.
- 4Rub a 2 pound roast with salt and pepper and place in same pan with beans
- 5Coarsely chop garlic cloves and sprinkle over top of roast.
- 6Add enough water or beef stock to completely cover the roast plus about 2 additional inches of water (the beans will absorb a lot of water).
- 7Place the pan over medium heat on stovetop and bring to a rolling boil.
Remove from heat.
- 8FROM HERE, YOU HAVE TWO OPTIONS. (I choose Option 1)
- 9OPTION #1 - Transfer to large crockpot which has been turned to low temperature. Cover and cook for 10-12 hours until roast is falling apart and beans are soft.
Or you can cook for 2 hours on high temperature, then turn to low temperature to finish cooking.
- 10OPTION #2
Cover pan and place in oven which has been preheated to 250º. Cook for 10-12 hours until roast is falling apart and beans are soft.
- 11This dish can be served so many different ways:
(1) On a bed of rice with grated cheese, sliced green onions, chopped cilantro and sour cream as garnishment
(2) on a large flour tortilla rolled up, with grated cheese and chopped veggies on top; eaten "taco" style.
(3) On tostado shells, with any toppings of your choice
(4) On tortilla chips or Fritos, again with toppings of your choice.
Let your imagination run wild - ENJOY!
You May Also Like:
Show 5 Comments & Reviews