MONSTER BURRITOS (These are HUGE Burritos!)
And as a side note, I would pair with this dish a good ice cold Mexican beer like Dos Equis or Corona!! Buen Probecho Y'all!!
- 14 inch diameter flour tortillas (specialty item, but sold in many grocery stores)
- 2 lb
- ground beef
- 5 can(s)
- chili (with or without beans. i use hormel with beans)
- 1 can(s)
- ranch style beans with liquid
- 1 can(s)
- canned red enchilada sauce - gebhardt's is good
- 3 or 4 large
- ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb
- shreded colby-jack cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 1/2 large
- head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 or 4
- avocados (at perfect ripeness), sliced thin
- (optional) sliced black olives, or dollops of sour cream if desired just prior to serving
How to Make MONSTER BURRITOS (These are HUGE Burritos!)
- 1In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. When done, drain off any fat. Add 2 cans of chili (15 ounce cans each-with or without beans) and one can of Ranch Style Beans with liquid and 1 - 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce. Please note: No Chili powder is needed. Your chili and ranch style beans have all you will need. Mix together well to make sure it is well blended. Heat through, then turn off the heat. Now, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- 2On a large griddle, lightly brown the flour tortillas on both sides. This keeps the tortilla from having a pasty texture and gives it a pleasing toasted flavor. Make sure the tortillas are still pliable and not stiff. Place on foil lined cookie sheets and spoon plenty of the meat & bean mixture in a horizontal line down the center of the tortilla. Be generous! Sprinkle minced onion, tomato and a good handful of shredded cheese over it. Take one side of the tortilla and fold it over the filling. Then roll it up and gently turn it over to place the edge of the tortilla on the down side. This will keep the burrito from unrolling.
- 3Take your remaining cans of chili and spoon over the top of the burritos, spreading it out to cover better. Sprinkle more minced onion and liberally cover with shredded cheese. Place in preheated oven and bake about 40-45 minutes, or until it is bubbling nicely.
- 4Remove from oven and using wide spatulas, carefully transfer each burrito from cookie sheet onto a very large serving plate or platter. Top immediately with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce and slices of avocado. If you prefer, you may also top with sliced black olives and dollops of sour cream. You could use sliced jalapenos too if you like it spicy.
- 5Serve while hot and keep a good brand of hot sauce on the table for those who want a little extra spicy flavor.