Moms BEST EVER Tatertot Hotdish
- 2 lb
- ground beef
- seasoning salt
- 1 pkg
- frozen mixed veggies (usually about 1 lbs.)
- 2 can(s)
- cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- small splash of milk (optional)
- american cheese
- 1 1/4 pkg
- frozen tater tots
How to Make Moms BEST EVER Tatertot Hotdish
- 1Preheat oven to 375
- 2You have the option to brown the meat or not... Honestly I think that it is about a horse a piece as far as time goes... so I usually just brown it with a little diced onion and season salt.
** Once browned (or not) place in bottom of 9x13 pan and spread out.
- 3Add layer of mixed veggies straight from the freezer and smooth out over beef.
- 5My mom adds a splash of milk here over the soup... I don't. I guess its up to you if you want yours thinner... I think that its hard to measure the right amount and not to mention I like mine thick - and that way it will not fall apart as much. Up to you.
- 6Now the cheese! place a full layer of sliced cheese over the whole thing! No cheating and leaving gaps!
** I would NOT recommend substituting American with Cheddar - it gets pretty greasy. Do not substitute sliced with shredded as it does not melt evenly (and its a terrible base for the tots) TRUST ME :)
- 7TOTS. Who doesn't just love tots?! I do not just throw a bunch on top and throw it in the oven.. I line them up next to each other and fill the whole pan. The only downside to doing it this way (if there is one) is that you do use a lot of tots. It seems like I always need a handful more than whats in an averaged sized (Orida) bag so I always keep extra on hand.
- 8Cook uncovered
**Raw beef- 1 hour and check
**Browned beef - 45 minutes and check
You want to see the tots golden brown and the cheese bubbling.
- 9Let this beast cool down! This stuff gets molten hot and as much as you may want to face-dive into this as soon as you pull it out... leave the room for a few minutes. :D
**You really do not need much of a side with this... There are so many veggies in it. If anything maybe a salad. That' about it.