Momma's Meat Pie
My grandmother passed away when my mother was 9 years old. This recipe had always been a favorite of my mother's. Unfortunately, my grandmother never wrote the recipe down. It took my mother several tries in her 20's to master the recipe & it turned out to be a family favorite for all of us.
When we needed a little pick me up, my mom would prepare this for us. Now that my mother has passed away, I continue to keep that tradition alive for my children.
3 Tbspchopped onions
2 Tbspchopped green peppers
1 lbbeef stew meat
3/4 ccooked diced potatoe
1/2 ccooked chopped carrots
4 Tbspplain flour
2 cbeef broth
·salt and pepper to taste
BISCUITS FOR TOP OF CASSEROLE
3 cself rising flour
1/8 csolid vegetable shortening
How to Make Momma's Meat Pie
- Slowly saute onion, pepper and meat in margarine.
Stir continually until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and heat through.
- Place in a 9 X 13 well greased pan.
- Top with biscuits.
- BISCUITS -
Cut margarine and shortening into self rising flour.
Pour in milk and mix till blended.
- Turn dough onto well floured surface and pat dough to approximately 1/8 inch thick. Top casserole with biscuits.
- Bake 15-20 minutes till biscuits are browned.
Cook any remaining biscuits to serve with dish.