Mom-Mom's Cheeseburger Casserole
1 lblean ground beef
1/2green pepper, chopped
·garlic powder, salt & pepper, to taste
2 can(s)stewed tomatoes, italian-style
·*optional: can substitute 1 jar of salsa for a can of stewed tomatoes to give it a little kick!
1 lbbox elbow macaroni, or pasta of choice
2 pkg(2 cups per pkg) shredded cheddar cheese, or whatever cheese you like (more if desired)
How to Make Mom-Mom's Cheeseburger Casserole
- NOTE: In place of the hamburger, green pepper & onion & seasonings, my Mom would sometimes use some leftover from "Mom-Mom's Hamburger Stew" (see recipe) It's delicious either way!
- Brown the ground beef, & saute the pepper & onion with the seasonings until veggies are soft. Drain.
- Cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add 1/2 of the macaroni, then 1/2 of the ground beef, then 1 can stewed tomatoes & then 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers, starting with macaroni and ending with cheese, adding a little more on top, if desired.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bubbly.
- ** This freezes well! I sometimes divide this recipe between two 8x8 square, or 9-inch round, disposable foil pans giving me one meal to freeze for later.