- 3 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 1/4 c
- lard or shortening
- 3/4 c
- very cold water (more than used in pie dough)
- potatoes, medium, diced. (red are best as they are juicy)
- yellow onions, medium, chopped
- 2 lb
How to Make Mollie's Pasties
- 1Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- 2For the pastry:
Measure flour and salt. Cut in lard until dough resembles small peas. Add water and divide into 6 equal parts.
- 3Roll dough thin to shape and size of pie plate. Pile potato, onion and 1/6 of the meat on only 1/2 the round of pie dough, and to within 1 inch from edge. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with butter. Fold other half of the dough over the filling and crimp or roll the seams, sealing well. Cut slit in top of each.
- 4Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat for remaining dough and fillings.
- 5Bake for approximately 1 hour. Brush a little milk on top of each pastie while baking. Especially if utilizing lard in the recipe so that they take on a nice golden color. (If using lard, the dough will remain pale without the brushing of the milk)