MEXICAN STYLE STEAK
Photo is my own, recipe from net with my changes.
- 1 1/2
- pounds lean chuck steak, 1 inch thick, with all fat removed
- garlic powder to shake
- tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 15 ounce can of hormel tamales in sauce
- 10 ounce can enchilada sauce, old el paso brand
- a little sherry to deglaze the skillet
- my recipe for spanish potatoes on this site
How to Make MEXICAN STYLE STEAK
- 1Note: Follow recipe as written. Don't add salt.
- 2Trim and remove all fat from the steak. Make sure steak is the same thickness, not more than 1 inch thick.
- 3Lay steak on a cutting board and sprinkle with garlic powder, and flatten with mallet, turn steak over and do the other side.
- 4In a medium skillet with a tight fitting lid, brown steak in olive oil, get a nice sear on both sides. Make sure the steak just fits in the skillet. Deglaze the skillet with a little sherry and stir the meat around in it.
- 5Drain tamales, reserving the sauce. Unwrap tamales and cut in thirds, set aside.
- 6Combine reserved tamale sauce, 10 ounces of enchilada sauce (measure it) and 1/2 cup of water, whisk and pour over steak in skillet.
- 7Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- 8Add tamale pieces and cook 10 minutes more.
- 9Serve with Spanish Potatoes, my recipe, this website, and drizzle the gravy over the potatoes and the meat to serve. Enjoy!
- 10Cook's Tip: The big surprise to me was what happened with the gravy. It becomes dark and rich and the flavor is divine! It also thickens beautifully with no help from me! A definite keeper in this house.