BONNIE'S MEXICAN STYLE STEAK
·1 1/2 pounds lean chuck steak, 1 inch thick, with all fat removed
·1/2 teaspoon cumin
·garlic powder to shake
·2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
·one 10 ounce can enchilada sauce, old el paso brand
·a little sherry (1/4 cup) to deglaze the skillet
·1/2 cup water
How to Make BONNIE'S MEXICAN STYLE STEAK
- Note: Follow recipe as written. Don't add salt.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. middle rack.
- Trim and remove all fat from the steak. Make sure steak is the same thickness, not more than 1 inch thick.
- Lay steak on a cutting board and sprinkle with garlic powder, and flatten with mallet, turn steak over and do the other side.
- In a medium skillet, brown steak in olive oil, get a nice sear on both sides. Make sure the steak just fits in the skillet. Deglaze the skillet with a little sherry and stir the meat around in it. Transfer to a Dutch Oven with a tight fitting lid.
- Combine 10 ounces of enchilada sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, and 1/2 cup of water, whisk and pour over steak in skillet.
- Cover Dutch oven and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Serve with potatoes. Use the wonderful gravy to spoon over potatoes and steak. Enjoy!
- Cook's Tip: The big surprise to me was what happened with the gravy. It becomes dark and rich and the flavor is divine! It also thickens beautifully with no help from me! A definite keeper in this house.