MEXICAN STYLE STEAK
Bonnie ^O^ .
Photo is my own, recipe from net with my changes.
1 1/2pounds lean chuck steak, 1 inch thick, with all fat removed
·garlic powder to shake
2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
115 ounce can of hormel tamales in sauce
110 ounce can enchilada sauce, old el paso brand
·a little sherry to deglaze the skillet
·my recipe for spanish potatoes on this site
How to Make MEXICAN STYLE STEAK
- Note: Follow recipe as written. Don't add salt.
- Trim and remove all fat from the steak. Make sure steak is the same thickness, not more than 1 inch thick.
- Lay steak on a cutting board and sprinkle with garlic powder, and flatten with mallet, turn steak over and do the other side.
- In a medium skillet with a tight fitting lid, brown steak in olive oil, get a nice sear on both sides. Make sure the steak just fits in the skillet. Deglaze the skillet with a little sherry and stir the meat around in it.
- Drain tamales, reserving the sauce. Unwrap tamales and cut in thirds, set aside.
- Combine reserved tamale sauce, 10 ounces of enchilada sauce (measure it) and 1/2 cup of water, whisk and pour over steak in skillet.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add tamale pieces and cook 10 minutes more.
- Serve with Spanish Potatoes, my recipe, this website, and drizzle the gravy over the potatoes and the meat to serve. Enjoy!
- Cook's Tip: The big surprise to me was what happened with the gravy. It becomes dark and rich and the flavor is divine! It also thickens beautifully with no help from me! A definite keeper in this house.