If you prefer heat, please feel free to amp it up. Add a layer of jalapenos or tomatoes with chiles. Try using pepper jack cheese. You can even use salsa or picante sauce instead of the tomatoes.
I made a quick version of this for lunch with the leftover black beans, some Picante sauce, a can of tomatoes, the tortillas and Colby cheese.
1 lb.ground beef
2 can(s)diced tomatoes, 15 oz.
1 pkgtaco seasoning mix and water as required
4 cshredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese
2 mediumonions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 can(s)black beans, drained and rinsed
How to Make Mexican Lasagna
- In a saute pan, heat the 3 Tbs. of oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and stir to coat. Saute the onions until carmelised, about 15 minutes. When the onions are soft and golden brown, remove from heat.
- In a large, deep skillet, brown the ground beef until the pink is gone. Drain the beef and return it to the pan. Add the taco seasoning mix, water as required and 2 cans of tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lightly spray a 13x9x2 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour 1/2 C sauce in the bottom of the pan. Overlap 6 tortillas to form a layer.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour 2 C sauce over the tortillas. Top with 1 c cheese.
- Overlap 6 tortillas to form a second layer. Pour the black beans over the tortillas and top with 1 C cheese.
- Overlap 6 more tortillas to form a third layer. Top with the carmelised onions.
- Overlap the final 6 tortillas to form a fourth layer. Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Top with the last 2 C of cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, until casserole is heated through and cheese on top has melted.